It is a primary objective of NESO’s Mission Statement to “encourage and sponsor research.” The Resident Research Sponsorship Program achieves this objective by enhancing and encouraging a collaborative relationship between NESO and the Orthodontic Training programs in our region, while awarding and supporting residents in training.
This program operates within the following parameters:
- Annually, NESO will grant three monetary awards of $4,000.
- Funds will be awarded directly to Residents in Orthodontic Training programs within the NESO constituency Boundaries.
- Funds are to be used for research purposes only and not for travel.
- Applications for awards will be submitted by the Orthodontic Program Chairman or Program Director and will consist of a one-page research proposal describing the overall project, aims and methodology.
- Research proposals may be either basic science or clinical, but must pertain to orthodontics.
- IRB approval is recommended, but not required.
- NESO will accept up to three submissions from each program, but only one application per program will be funded at every cycle.
- Proposals will be reviewed by the NESO Research Sponsorship Program Task Force Subcommittee, which will consist of faculty members from three different Orthodontic Programs within the NESO boundaries who are appointed by the NESO President. (Committee members will recuse themselves from evaluating proposals from their own programs).
- Programs that receive an award cannot compete for two cycles after the award to facilitate the distribution of funds to the majority of programs.
- The Resident award recipient will be required to present their findings at a future NESO meeting.
- The deadline to submit Resident Research Award applications is June 1, 2017.
- Award recipients will be announced August 1, 2017.
- There will be an annual evaluation and report from the Research Sponsorship Program Task Force Subcommittee to the NESO Board of Directors Annual Meeting
Residents may apply for an award by submitting a one-page research proposal by June 1, 2017. (No proposal applications will be accepted after the deadline.)
Please return your completed application via email to email@example.com or via mail to the address listed below.